As part of our drive to showcase this innovation and to build bridges between industry, academia and start-ups this year we are proudly working with the Embassy of France in SA on the “Innovation Wall” which will be hosting 6 innovation challenges by way of poster competition, each with a prize for the best in category poster.
The 6 challenge categories
- Challenge #1 – The Ocean Hub Fishing Challenge – Using AI to prevent breaches of fishing regulations / illegal fishing.
- Challenge #2 – The 4IR Incubator Social Challenge – Using AI to help improve service and health delivery in disadvantaged communities
- Challenge #3 – The FSAT labs UX Challenge – Using AI to improve customer service experience & satisfaction for industry / government
- Challenge #4 – The Engie Energy Challenge – Using AI to map urban / unconnected areas & informal settlements for essential service delivery
- Challenge #5 – The EDF / Dassault Systèmes Challenge – Using Artificial Intelligence to improve Energy Efficiency
- Challenge #6 – The Africa 4IR Open Challenge – Open to start-ups / academics to showcase any AI related product, service or applied research
By sponsoring the innovation wall at AI Expo Africa 2020 ONLINE, the French Embassy wishes to reiterate its commitment to supporting the visibility and development of the creativity of African students, entrepreneurs, start-ups and small innovative companies.
Nick Bradshaw, CEO AI Media Group and Cofounder of AI Expo Africa event said, “This is a unique format for an innovation challenge and we are very happy to be working with the Embassy of France in South Africa on this challenge. Over the last 2 years we have built a strong partnership with the team and they are supporting innovation in 4IR in Africa for both start-ups and academia – its such an interesting set of challenges and we hope to receive some very innovative submissions. We ran the poster wall last year to show industry what is happening with applied R&D from African Universities and it was a big success. The French team have helped us take it to the next level and the results will be interesting”.
Bradshaw concluded, “The challenge partners are incubators, governments and French industrial groups and we thank them for their support, they include; The Ocean Hub Africa, The French South African Tech Labs & The 4th Industrial Revolution Incubator, EDF, Dassault System, Engie, Swiss Embassy in SA and SA Dept of Science & Innovation.
The Laureates / Awards
After the judging process that was completed this week, we are pleased to announce that the following poster presenters were selected as having met the criteria of the challenge and awarded Laureates for poster wall submissions they made;
- Challenge #1 – The Ocean Hub Fishing Challenge – No Award / posters did not meet criteria
- Challenge #2 – The 4IR Incubator Social Challenge – 1st Neo Moloi, COO, Sawubona Mycelium, South Africa AND 2nd Adivhaho Bridgette Mphaphuli, Research Student, University of Johannesburg, South Africa
- Challenge #3 – The FSAT labs UX Challenge – 1st Grace Gichanga, Founder, Masenze Strategic Advisors (Luma Law)
- Challenge #4 – The Engie Energy Challenge – No Award / posters did not meet criteria
- Challenge #5 – The EDF / Dassault Systèmes Challenge – Dean Barrett, Researcher, University of Witwatersrand, South Africa
- Challenge #6 – The Africa 4IR Open Challenge – 1st Most novel technology R&D – Oluoch Willies, Masters Student, Hubei University of Technology, Kenya and 2nd Most novel technology R&D Akivan Kemraj, CEO, Empire Partner Foundation, South Africa ** Best business application 1st Esther Hoogstad, CoFounder / CEO, Enlabler, South Africa** and 2nd Tshepo Ntokoane, IT Manager, Harambe Group, South Africa **
** Eligible / go forward to next round of the French / Swiss support programme
Produced by the AI Media Group and with 3000+ community members, AI Expo Africa is now entering its third successful year and is the largest B2B trade focused Artificial Intelligence, RPA & Data Science business conference in Africa. The 2020 edition of AI Expo Africa will run online on 3-4 September 2020 and builds upon the phenomenal success of the 2018 and 2019 events that cemented it as the largest gathering of its kind, with over 1000 registered delegates, decision makers, investors, buyers, suppliers, innovators, SMBs and global brands in the region.
All trademarks & company names mentioned are protected by their respective owner