Artificial intelligence innovation and research sits at the heart of unlocking value for social and economic growth in Africa – As part of our drive to showcase this innovation and to build bridges between industry, academia and start-ups this year we are proudly working with the Embassy of France in SA on the “Innovation Wall” which will be hosting 6 innovation challenges by way of poster competition, each with a prize for the best in category poster.
By sponsoring the innovation wall at AI Expo Africa 2020 ONLINE, the French Embassy wishes to reiterate its commitment to supporting the visibility and development of the creativity of African students, entrepreneurs, start-ups and small innovative companies.
Artificial intelligence is a technology area that can address unique and major societal challenges. It is also an area where the sharing of international expertise is necessary. In this context, the embassy has decided to get closer to many partners in South Africa, whose commitment to young people is a priority, and who offer challenges to support this creativity.
Nick Bradshaw, CEO AI Media Group and Cofounder of AI Expo Africa event said, “This is a unique format for an innovation challenge and we are very happy to be working with the Embassy of France in South Africa on this challenge. Over the last 2 years we have built a strong partnership with the team and they are supporting innovation in 4IR in Africa for both start-ups and academia – its such an interesting set of challenges and we hope to receive some very innovative submissions. We ran the poster wall last year to show industry what is happening with applied R&D from African Universities and it was a big success. The French team have helped us take it to the next level and the results will be interesting”.
Bradshaw concluded, “The challenge partners are incubators, governments and French industrial groups and we thank them for their support, they include; The Ocean Hub Africa, The French South African Tech Labs & The 4th Industrial Revolution Incubator, EDF, Dassault System, Engie, Swiss Embassy in SA and SA Dept of Science & Innovation.”
All poster authors whose posters are approved for the Innovation Wall will receive 1x FREE ticket to the main show and be expected to attend 3rd / 4th September 2020 plus the winners of each category will receive an additional prize.
- Challenge #1 – The Ocean Hub Fishing Challenge – Using AI to prevent breaches of fishing regulations / illegal fishing.
- Challenge #2 – The 4IR Incubator Social Challenge – Using AI to help improve service and health delivery in disadvantaged communities
- Challenge #3 – The FSAT labs UX Challenge – Using AI to improve customer service experience & satisfaction for industry / government
- Challenge #4 – The Engie Energy Challenge – Using AI to map urban / unconnected areas & informal settlements for essential service delivery
- Challenge #5 – The EDF / Dassault Systèmes Challenge – Using Artificial Intelligence to improve Energy Efficiency
- Challenge #6 – The Africa 4IR Open Challenge – Open to start-ups / academics to showcase any AI related product, service or applied research
- Choose ONE of the listed challenges that relates to your start-up or academic research
- Poster format is 1x Portrait format PDF no larger than 10 MB
- All submissions are to be made via this link https://forms.gle/Z8D8uHD4TzVNG5WL9
- 21st Aug – Poster submissions CLOSES
- 25th Aug – Judge best posters & inform winners
- 3rd / 4th Sept – Announce winners & prizes at AI Expo Africa 2020
GUIDENCE & QUESTIONS
A full copy of the poster guidance, challenge categories and prizes can be found here http://aiexpoafrica.com/poster-guidance-prize-categories/
If you have any questions about the Innovation Challenges please contact;
Produced by the AI Media Group and with 3000+ community members, AI Expo Africa is now entering its third successful year and is the largest B2B trade focused Artificial Intelligence, RPA & Data Science business conference in Africa. The 2020 edition of AI Expo Africa will run online on 3-4 September 2020 and builds upon the phenomenal success of the 2018 and 2019 events that cemented it as the largest gathering of its kind, with over 1000 registered delegates, decision makers, investors, buyers, suppliers, innovators, SMBs and global brands in the region.
Speak | Sponsor | Register
All trademarks & company names mentioned are protected by their respective owner